Thursday, May 24, 2007

Stanley Cup finals ticket purchasing challenges

I set myself up at 9:23am to access the capitaltickets.ca website in order to be prepared to join the mad dash for Ottawa Senators Stanley Cup final tickets at 10:00am. Instead of accessing the intended site, I was relegated to some "please hold" web page. It promised to keep trying to get me to my destination while warning me that I am not guaranteed tickets.

As the minutes ticked by I waited for the magical screen transformation - 54 minutes later, no such luck.

Maybe the phone will work. The lines must be so overwhelmed I can't even get a busy signal - all I get is thrown back to a dial tone!!!

OK - I'm almost resigned to the fact that I won't be able to attend the game without paying $1,000 for a ticket from the pigs... I mean scalpers outside ScotiaBank Place. Well, maybe not quite - I've made a $450 bid on a pair of tickets for game 4 on eBay. Fat chance I'll get them for under $500, but I'll try.

Maybe another shot at the phone number? Nope. Dial tone boomerang. Come on web site... Even TicketMaster wasn't THAT bad in the past. I often wonder exactly how robust capitaltickets.ca really is.

Follow-up: I finally got onto capitaltickets.ca at 10:35am. Surprise - no tickets available... not one. No wonder the site became available.

3 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exact same experience here.

Capitaltickets blows. Plus they only had the Family section tickets available (supposedly).

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all a bunch of horseshit! Ticket brokers (scalpers) buy all the tickets up and gouge the fans! Tickets should only be able to be purchased at the box office!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Michael Mason said...

Tickets should only be able to be purchased at the box office? How'd that stop scalpers, for one. Second, for people who work, it would make things even more difficult/impossible to buy tickets.

Also, you cannot ignore the fact that technology has actually moved forward in the past 25 years and you can't go to the third floor of Eatons at Bayshore to buy tickets at TicketMaster anymore.

While I could "multitask" and try to get tickets while working at my desk on Thursday, there's no way I could have taken a half day off to go and waste my time yielding the same results.

Now if you could guarantee that "only at the box office" would prevent scalpers from buying, you might have a small valid point... but I can't see how you could ever prevent it. Sad but true these days...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home