Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Merry Christmas $(*#&@$!!!

The Lowell Green Show on CFRA in Ottawa is discussing the fact that Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty's "Christmas" card does not come right out and wish recipients a Merry Christmas in English or French.

It is extremely offensive to me that Dalton McGuinty deems it offensive to say "Merry Christmas" and avoids doing so to stay in the good books of some minorities... but apparently not all. He doesn't say it in English or French, but he does in Filipino, Spanish and, apparently, in German too. Greetings are there in about thirty languages and it seems that "Merry Christmas" is OK in at least a couple dozen of them. Callers to the show are translating for those of us who do not speak the thirty languages Mr. McGuinty evidently can.

Earlier this morning I was told that employees at a rather large nursery off of Innes Road are told that they must express warm wishes of "Happy Holidays" to customers as they complete a sale. I will not shop at a store that has a policy prohibiting staff from saying "Merry Christmas". If I find out after a sale that there are such rules in a given establishment, I'll wander over to the refund counter to get my money back.

Each so-called "minority" who is asked by members of the media whether they are offended by "Merry Christmas" responds by saying it is utterly ridiculous that "we" in most part refrain from using the offensive statement. Rabbi Reuven Bulka has said so in each of the past three years. Many "on the street" new Canadians who are interviewed claim that Canada's diversity is one of the factors that attracted them here. Why can my culture and my Christmas not be part of our multicultural mosaic?

I'm not against multiculturalism, I'm not against equal rights. When one's rights become "more equal" than someone else's, however, I get annoyed. So Merry Christmas, everyone. If you don't want to wish people a "Merry Christmas" for fear of offending, then don't send greeting cards and just keep to yourself.

Humbug.

6 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Blogger Nila said...

I was hoping that you could give me the words to Proud to be a Canadian by Lee Greenwood. I have been looking for it and I cannot seem to find it anywhere. If you can please send it to me. Thank you!!!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Michael Mason said...

I will dig them up for you... I'm off over the holidays so I guarantee I'll have them posted within a week.

-Michael

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Nila said...

Thanks so much... Have a good Christmas and a Happy new year.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're bang on, BullDog, when you vote with your feet and your wallet. The free market offers the most effective solution to pretty much everthing. If you persuade enough people to follow suit, that offending nursery will either change its way or go belly up.

Merry belated Christmas dude!
Steve

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Nila said...

I was wondering if you found the words to that song yet? I wasn't sure if you were back on yet. If your not then sorry if I sound inpatient

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Michael Mason said...

Hi Nila,

Sorry - the holidays came and went and then I got sick earlier this month. I flung myself back into circulation late last week with mixed results but I'm back in full fervour. The energy's back for full days again, so yay!

I will one way or another get those words for you... can you e-mail me at mmason @ magma.ca so I can e-mail you when the time comes?

Thanks!
Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home