Sunday, June 03, 2007

Oh, what a night!!! - Part one

The one thing that was missing from the 2007 Stanley Cup Finals for Ottawa Senators fans was: fun. After watching the Sens go through the motions in the first two games of the series, the only "fun" the Sens fans had had to that point was watching them get to the finals, not be in the finals. They didn't even score a goal in game 2!

When the scene shifted to Ottawa, however, things were in for a huge change.

I have been to close to 175 NHL games. Up until the lockout year, I had been to every single home playoff game in "modern Senators history". I was there for the first ever playoff game. I was there when Ottawa clinched its first playoff series win at home. Leaving the Corel Centre that day was unlike any other sporting experience for me to that point.

Until last night.

I am fortunate to have a mother who seems to be even more into this playoff run than I am. She seems to be more addicted to everything Senators more than I am this year. Not bad for someone who still splits her allegiance between the Habs and our Senators. There we were, driving to Scotiabank Place last night, eagerly anticipating the biggest Senators home game in "modern history".

The parking lot I always park in was closed off about 6-7 cars before I could make it in. It turns out we waited about 20 minutes in line for nothing. Undeterred, I opted to head east on Palladium Drive to see what I might come across. The lineup to get into the eastern-most parking lots was long and I didn't want to wait. Further east I went. I figured that the Costco would be closed by then and, being a member, surely there wouldn't be a problem parking there. My Escape being secure, it was time to make the trek back west to the "Greatest Arena on Earth" - do we still call it that?!

The walk was reminiscent of a walk I took some ten years ago when I attended the Palladium "open house" - the arena was still five months away from opening night. The enthusiasm for the new building was too exciting for words. I remember standing at the bottom of what would become section 301, looking out at where ice would some day be. Last night, we sat in row P of section 304 and were shocked to see the arena was already pretty much at capacity - and the warmup wasn't quite done yet! Something special was happening - and we were there.

After a rather impressive light and A/V show, Lyndon Slewidge took to the ice to sing the national anthems. I don't know what it is, but it seems that every time he pulls the mike away to let 20,000+ people "carry the tune" and I'm standing there singing O Canada along with each and every one of them, it's almost emotionally overwhelming. The unity - the unquestioned patriotism (for once) of each and every fan in the stands and throughout the arena is almost tangible. I love it - it's an experience in itself.

And finally, the drop of the puck. Let the games begin!!!

More to come later today - off to the golf course!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home