Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The golf season's not over yet!!

My buddy Steve has asked me a number of times why it is that I haven't written anything about golf since putting The World as I See It online. Here you go, Steve!

They announced on the weekend that "Fairways and Flag Sticks" will be airing its final show for the 2007 season on CFRA this coming Sunday. The "fall deals and closures" page is up on ottawagolf.com. Dragonfly is closing on Hallowe'en! Fair weather golfers are packing it in for the season - God forbid they play with a few leaves on the ground... who can believe the mid-June type weather we've been experiencing the last week or so?

I have to admit that I am getting a little long in the tooth this year, and for the first time in ages, I can honestly say that I wouldn't be too depressed if it snowed on Friday. Or would I?

Why? It's been a frustrating year. I've improved my game's technique. The lessons I took last fall have improved my short game and the tips I've been given by a few pros throughout the season have been paying off - sort of. I've had fewer 100+ rounds (that's good) and improved my games in the sub-90 scoring range, but the consistency isn't there...

I know, join the club - it's the same for everyone. It shouldn't be for me, right?!?!

Golf is a fascinating game where you can experience highs and lows - sometimes from one minute to another - and I "saved" a game from heading into triple digits on Sunday, but no thanks to my abilities. 17 and 18 at Renfrew ate my lunch again. Aw well, I conquered (or something to that effect) Falcon Ridge this year... Renfrew's got to be coming sooner or later.

When I look back on the season that was - likely in about six weeks - I will see that I improved over last year and I should be content and simply clam up. However, in the never ending pursuit of greatness, another year has passed and I only have seventeen more years to get my game into good enough shape to take a shot at making it on the Senior PGA Tour (or the Champion's Tour as they call it today).

Lofty goal? Sure - likely? Not really. But hope lingers forever.

Here's to what many call the greatest season for golf - Fall or Autumn... may it be long and warm! Let's leave snow to Christmas Eve, no??!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home