Wednesday, December 19, 2007

No politically correct BS here - MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

So the principal of Elmvale Public School says we should be "inclusive" and celebrate the "festive day" that is coming next week. The "day before Boxing Day" is called Christmas. As far as I know, the vast majority of Canadians celebrate Christmas. Who's agenda is this principal putting forth?

Members of the Jewish community celebrate Hanukkah - but nobody demands that the Jewish community change the name given to the occasion they celebrate. Another segment of the population celebrates Eid. Does anyone dictate that they rename that particular day? No!

So why should we, the majority of Canadians who still hold on to the "Canadian tradition" of the Christmas season, bow to a so-called group of "progressive" people who relentless try each year to make us "accommodate" everyone while compromising our own culture and beliefs?

These so-called progressive people (who, incidentally, rarely are minorities themselves) tell us we must be inclusive. I have no problem with Hanukkah, Ramadan or any other religions or cultural celebration... as long as I can have mine too, thank you very much! We must be "inclusive" as long as we "exclude" ourselves from the list of politically correct celebrations.
Look - I'm all for being inclusive as long as I, someone still in a vast majority of Canadians who celebrates Christmas, am INCLUDED.

It is OK, acceptable and ENCOURAGED to yell "Happy Hanukkah" at the top of one's lungs or wish a follower of Islam whatever one does at Eid (forgive me, but I haven't seen anyone say "Happy Eid" before, but I'm sure there is a greeting of sorts for that holiday), but it is seemingly unacceptable to say "Merry Christmas" on the air anywhere, for fear of someone filing a complaint with the CRTC. Why? More people in Canada celebrate Christmas than every other group put together.

Wal-Mart jumped on the PC bandwagon two years ago and were soundly criticized and even boycotted last year. Guess what - the largest corporation of the world decided to re-introduce Christmas to its stores this year! I must remember to go buy more stuff there this year.

So MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone to whom it is applicable. If you don't celebrate Christmas, it's your right - but don't infringe on my right to enjoy time with friends and family in this festive time of the year. Oh, and by the time I have a kid in school, I'm telling you, they better wish me Merry Christmas too. And have a good "Christmas Pageant" too...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home