Friday, October 27, 2006

Garth Turner exposed party politics for what they really are

The more I think about what caused Garth Turner to get turfed from the Conservative caucus last week, the more I think that our Parliamentary system is falling into disrepute. Sure, Mr. Turner is a somewhat unusual parliamentarian... he's outspoken and is accessible to anyone pretty much at any time. It was vastly different years ago when I volunteered in another MP's office. I had been instructed to turf correspondence that came from outside of the MP's constituency - so much for Canadians lobbying for their causes from coast to coast! And that was before e-mail became an every day communication tool - I can only imagine how the speedy nature of e-mail had changed office dynamics.

I can't remember exactly what the subject was or when I sent him an e-mail, but I got a response from Garth Turner the same day - and it was a real response! It wasn't a lame form letter thanking me for my interest or some other kiss off note intending on chasing me away, it was a clear and concise message directly responding to my query. This was pretty extraordinary, given that he had never heard from me before and I don't live anywhere near his riding. I thought it was even more remarkable because I had received a form letter in response to a query to my own MP a few times, in spite of the fact that I had been an active supporter, a member of the riding association executive and had helped her for about fifteen years at that time! I would have thought that having done the time would have earned me a personal response.

Anyhow, I have been out of active federal politics since 2000 - check out my website (www.ncf.ca/~an956) where old community newspaper columns are archived for the reasons that led to my "retirement". Why have I been retired and why have I enjoyed it? I came to the realization that our current parliamentary system has a very good shot at turning an idealistic and enthusiastic new member into a hypocrite and a liar. Harsh words, sure, but how many times do you hear a candidate tell you how he or she will put the constituent first? How often to they tell you that they will be your voice in Ottawa?

I remember the first national policy convention that I attended in the mid 1990's. I attended a workshop that was given by Don Boudria. I left that workshop inspired! Months and years followed and I watched Don Boudria, Liberal House Leader be yet another Jean Chretien lap dog. Day after day he would "answer" questions during the farce we insist on calling Question Period each day Parliament is in session. Each day his answers would be another quote from some book of platitudes, talking quite a bit but never saying much. Why am I singling out Mr. Boudria? While I am not old enough to remember the "rat pack", I can't help but wonder how Mr. Boudria could independently evaluate his behaviour and perceived effectiveness in the Mulroney years as compared to what he publicly displayed once he switched sides and became another government spokesman.

Look at what happened to John Nunziata, another member of the rat pack who did not choose to conform to the portrait of what a Chretien government MP. He was booted out of the party and was forced to sit as an independent. I believe he was subsequently re-elected as an independent, but the system being what it is, he was largely ineffective as there truly isn't a significant place for an independent in the House of Commons in Canada.

Well that is where Garth Turner is currently sitting. He was booted out of caucus last week because he did not fit the mold that Prime Minister Harper has cast for his underlings in the Conservative party. Evidently you are not allowed to be critical and in order to be accepted as a member of the governing party these days, you conform 100% or keep your mouth shut. Who has recently heard a peep out of the mouth of the member from Renfrew Nippissing Pembroke? She was placed under a cone of silence and a cloak of invisibility by her leader during the last federal election and has been fairly quiet ever since. Sure, the knocks against her are the whacky things she has said and done while in opposition, and these acts and her unavailable nature during the campaign were often documented by local media. What has happened to her?

Anyhow, I applaud Garth Turner for standing true to his word. He is his own man and seems to be a true "man of the people" - or so it seems in his blog and in statements he has recently made.

There had been rumours that he was considering moving to the Liberals or even to become the first Green Party member in the House of Commons. If I knew he could accomplish even the least bit as an independent I would wish that he remain independent. On the other hand, I am almost hoping that he does hook up with a new party and "stick it to the man". He could then show everyone that you can be a "man of the people" and be a Member of Parliament at the same time. Until then, having watched my former MP as the chief disciplinarian (or Chief Government Whip) stick to the party line so much so that I believe she may have sacrificed some of her personal ideals along the way, I will remain jaded and will keep any political ambitions locked up somewhere and forget where the key was placed for safe keeping.

The last thing I would want to do is promise people I will be there for them and then conveniently ignore them because my leader says so. In the meantime, stick to your guns, Garth - keep up the good fight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home