Monday, October 22, 2007

Holy ladybugs!

It looks like the Ottawa area is getting hit with another attack from evil orange or yellow ladybugs. I work in an old building and despite fighting for window screen restoration for a few years, I have not been successful - and now about about 20 friends crawling up and down the walls and ceiling in my office.

Not so long ago I remember playing golf at the Manderley on the Green course near Manotick, Ontario. A ladybug landed on me... I had always been told that it was good luck. Little did I know that there was a distinction between the red ones and those that are more orange in colour. The latter are evil and like to bite. What seemed to be a stroke of good luck quickly turned into a menace and irritant beyond any other I had ever experienced when it came to insects of any kind.

We had a power cart, that day, and the moment we'd get up to play our shot, dozens (if not hundreds) would descend on the now vacant cart seat and take it over. Several hours later, our game was over, I had been bitten a half dozen times, and I returned to my car to see that many had somehow crawled into it. It took weeks to get rid of them!

They're back!! Not quite in the same number as a few years ago, but I suspect this might just be the beginning of "ladybug season" and will continue to worsen until the snow flies.

If anybody out there knows how to get rid of these pests without staining walls and furniture (and smelling up the place - my boss told me that her daughter-in-law says they smell like peanut butter when squished), please leave me a note in the comments section. In the meantime, if you see one nearby, make sure you keep your windows closed or tightly screened.

Now... how can I get Alex Cullen to ban these from the City of Ottawa?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home