Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Things sometimes work out just fine...

When I started my "#2 car" this afternoon, looking to drive away from a friend's house, a battery light stayed on. Somewhat alarmed, I stared at it as I proceeded down the road. It went away but quickly turned back on. Half-way up my parents' street I abandoned my plans to stop for dinner and beelined for Canadian Tire in Bells Corners. The dash lights had been dimming, helping me come to that decision.

As I turned back onto Richmond, internal lights started to fade. I turned the heater and radio off to buy some time, not quite knowing what was going on. By the time I made it passed Bayshore, all internal lights were out. Car sounded like it was still running OK. I thought - car still running, maybe battery's going... it'd be an alternator if it just plain died.

By the time I waited impatiently at a few stop lights I was mid-way through Bells Corners and knew I had NO lights outside either. Car started to sound funny. Stroking the steering wheel and pleading with Sir Grand Marquis to give me another 400 yards I wished I had the flashers and sirens I kind of had at my disposal yesterday -- realizing that they wouldn't work anyway, with no lights working!

The last light (at Moodie) turned green so off I went - barely getting off the starting line. I knew I was in trouble but plead desperately that SGM get me another few hundred feet. As I started the turn into Canadian Tire, I felt the steering wheel go heavy on me. I had lost all power - the engine was gone. Hoping nobody was at the stop sign, I resisted braking... needing precious inches now, purely on momentum. No ABS to help, I came to a sliding halt, almost perfectly within the lines of a parking spot. The poor car was hurting bad... yet it somehow managed to get me there. How, I'll never know. I owe it an oil change, as well as something special. What do you buy for a 15+ year old car with 210,000km?

What happened? It turns out, as I finally suspected when I lost power, that the original alternator decided to give up the ghost. The Canadian Tire parts supplier was still available at that late hour and they rushed one to us (none were in stock at the store). All was fixed an hour later. Thanks to Canadian Tire for the quick and effective service, and to whatever helped the poor old Mercury limp in!!

1 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that's what happens when you buy a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home